We pulled out the carpet and put in new floors. But when we got to the stairs, we knew we’d have a problem. The stairs were made from unsealed mdf and there were large cracks on the sides. We couldn’t afford new hardwood stairs so I devised a plan that consisted of lots of wood filler and paint.
Then prime with a good primer.
I got various colors of brown, black and white acrylic paint and added it to a pie tin. Mixing the colors onto a dry brush a little at a time, I swept on the colors in the same direction. With the black paint, I went back and created knots and streaks to mimic our floors. This is what really helped give the stairs more dimension and look authentic.
For the next step, do as I say and not as I do. Make sure you pick out the right glaze!!! Oh my, mine took forever to dry and I couldn’t understand why until I actually read the label…slow drying! Ugh! For the glaze, I picked out a medium tone of brown matching my floor sample.
I painted on the glaze color and then used this wood grain tool (rocking it back and forth while using a sweeping motion) to make the faux wood grain. This is what really made it look awesome!