Tackle it Tuesday, Tackling Office Ugly
Posted via Jessica’s Blog.
I wish I had a before picture for you. This chair was a mess. It had a gray woven cover that had holes all over the place from my old kitty that liked to sharpen it’s claws on the back. Needless to say, it wasn’t pretty.
I picked up a couple of yards of durable upholstery fabric from the fabric store and got to work recovering the chair. First I took the arms off the chair and that also separated the back. Then with my staple gun, I covered the fabric on the seat and secured it with staples under the chair. For the back, I made a slipcover and then hand-sewed the bottom closed. To make the slipcover sleeve, I put the wrong side of the fabric out and made a chair sandwich of sorts by pining the edges together. Then I sewed it on my sewing machine. I struggled getting the slipcover on since it was a tight fit, but after a few tugs it was on. The hardest part was finding where to screw the arms back on since I covered the holes with the fabric. If I had to do it all over again, I would have taken a little exacto knife and cut out the fabric leaving the holes exposed when recovering.
I also sewed some pillows. For one pillow I printed up a copy of a fern onto muslin fabric on my pigmant based printer. I then sewed buttons on as accents and then sewed up the pillow with right sides together. Stuffed and then hand sewed it shut. For the second pillow I used left over fabric for the project and also bought complimentary trim.
I’m so very pleased with how this chair turned out. I saved the chair from going to the dump and it looks great in my office. The hard part is deciding if I want to sell it, or keep it for myself. I’m thinking this is a keeper!
Join the discussion and tell us your opinion.
Looks great! I love ready about tackle it Tuesday!