This is my third time making mozzarella and here are some directions. Some of these pictures were taken at my mom’s house and some at my house since I didn’t get all the pictures taken the first time. Also there is a step that needs perfecting. After reviewing more instructions about making mozzarella, I noticed that the pros let the cubes hold it’s shape. I’ve noted it in the directions so that you won’t make the same mistake I’ve been making.
If there are any cheese experts out there, feel free to post your comments and offer help. I’d love to have a cheese making mentor!
Here’s the overall process:
1. Add 1 & 1/2 tsp. Citric Acid diluted in 1cup cool water to 1 gallon of cold milk.
2. Heat slowly to 90F
3. Meanwhile, dissolve 1/4tsp of rennet diluted in 1/4cup. cool water for 30sec.
5. Check the curd, it will look like custard and the whey will be clear. If too soft let set a few more minutes. Please see updated comments below! 🙂
6. Now cut the curd into 1 inch squares with a knife that reaches the bottom of the pot.
10. Knead and reheat for 30sec, repeat if needed until the curd is 135F, almost too hot to handle